Many times I had passed by Almond Extract in a store, and wondered where and why to use it? Then realized, it’s an extract what if I try to use it instead of vanilla extract and wow, it was a wonderful realization. Vanilla has been over rated and over used in everything. So almond is a refreshing change and for some reason makes things taste exotic.
And if you are a coconut lover like me, you will certainly prefer this version of rice pudding.
Most importantly Monoo made rice pudding today, and I have to give her a better recipe for the next time! right Monoo?
- 3/4 cup rice, I use basmati
- 1 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups whole milk. I have tried 2%/1%/nonfat etc. it just ruins the rice pudding, taste like rice+milk+sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup almonds, frosted and chopped
- few strands of saffron
- Soak rice for 5-10 minutes, drain and toast it with ghee in a pan
- Add milk and let it thicken on simmer for a while
- Add coconut milk, sugar and almond extract and let it thicken again
- take it out in serving bowl(s) and sprinkle with almonds and saffron
- let it cool in a refrigerator for 30 minutes or more, serve cold.