Many friends have asked me to write quicker and simpler recipes. This one is for my friend Anu. Anu, if you are making it to eat after your Friday fast, just avoid garlic and tomato step, it will still be yummy.
Time: 10-15 minutes
Difficulty level: Very simple
- 1 can black beans
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 crushed garlics
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper powder/ cayenne pepper powder
- 1 tsp oil
- Heat the oil in a pan and add garlic. Once the garlic is crisp, take it out with a slotted spoon and set it aside. (If you are in a greater hurry then
- Add cumin, turmeric and cayenne pepper powder quickly follow it with tomatoes. Cover and simmer it for 2-3 minutes.
- Empty the bean can in the pan. With the spatula smash some of the beans on the edges of the pan. This will give thickness to your soup/dal. Be careful not to smash all of them.
- You can eat it like a dal with rice or roti. If you don’t have time for rice or roti, feel free to have it as a hearty soup, will fill you up like a meal. For yummier version, add a dollop of sour cream.