This is one of my comfort foods, I love love love shrimp curry in this similar style but lately I haven’t found great shrimps. This curry is equally satisfying. Add a side of fried fish and it will make a complete meal.
- 2 cups squash (butternut /acorn / or similar) peeled and cubed
- 2 cups yuka or any other root vegetable, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup coconut milk (preferably light)
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 tsp ginger garlic paste (use fresh, i prefer crushed than paste)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp oil (olive/ peanut/ coconut)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
- In a thick bottom deep pan heat the oil, add chopped onion and ginger-garlic, follow it with yuka or the root vegetable. Saute' it for a bit and scrap the bottom of the pan. Add curry powder, saute' some more and add a cup of water. Cover and let it cook on simmer for 5 -10 minutes, or till yuka is slightly tender.
- Add squash and cover it again, add 1/2 cup of water if needed if water has dried up. cover and cook for 5 -7 minutes. Scrap the bottom as and when needed, don't let it burn.
- When yuka is completely cooked (you can fork it without any resistance, more like boiled potato) add salt and coconut milk. Adjust the consistency as per your liking by cooking some more or adding some more coconut milk or water.
- Garnish it with cilantro and serve it over fluffy white jasmine rice.