As a kid, this was my most favorite thing to eat at a restaurant and finally I have mastered it. This is the simplest and the tastiest recipe for Methi Mutter Malai, without all the unnecessary steps and ingredients. Follow this perfectly and you will never want to eat Methi Mutter Malai, anywhere else.
- 4 cups cleaned and chopped methi (fresh fenugreek leaves)
- 2 cups peas frozen
- 2 cups half and half (feel free to use any combination of heavy cream and whole milk)
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts
- 2 green/red thai chili peppers chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1" ginger chopped
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter (preferably ghee)
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat a thick bottom pan and add 1 tbsp ghee, chill, garlic, ginger, onion, cashew nuts. Sauté it till onion gets transparent. Transfer the mix to a blender and make a paste. Add 1 to 2 tbsp water if needed.
- Heat rest of the ghee in the same pan again and add the paste. Keep stirring the paste and be careful that it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Add peas, no need to cook these separately, they easily get cooked in the gravy and are tastier this way. Cover the pan and let the peas cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add methi and half and half. Cook it uncovered till peas are soft and gravy thickens to your liking. Takes anywhere between 5 -10 minutes.
- Eat it with rice or naan/roti, doesn't need any garnish, you can garnish it with cilantro if you feel like it.
Step by step instructions in images:
Heat the ghee and add chillies
Follow with the rest: cashew, garlic, ginger, onion
Saute’ everything and then paste it
One more time, heat ghee in a pan
Add the paste, cook for a bit without letting it stick to the bottom
Add peas directly from the packet
Cover and cook for a few minutes
Pour half and half
Cook uncovered till it thickens to your liking.