For Indian vegetarians eggplant is one of the most hated vegetable. However my dad loved eggplant bharta, as a result we ate lots of and still loved it. I have made greek baked eggplant before and loved it as much as I love bharta. For love of both, just decided to combine them. And the result not just looks good, it tastes good too.
- 4 medium size eggplants
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Cut each eggplant vertically in half. Scoop out the inner of eggplant, chop it and set it aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add eggplant inners, tomato, onion, green pepper, turmeric, cumin, red chili pepper and salt. Let it sauté till entire mixture is softened and slightly browned.
- Heat the oven to 375 deg F.
- Brush the eggplant halves with some oil and set them in a prepared baking dish. Fill the eggplants with the mixture. Put them in the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes or when the outer eggplant is softened and started to brown, take them out and scoop out a table spoon of yogurt on each eggplant half. Put the eggplants back in the oven.
- Let them bake for another 10 minutes.
- Finish them with cilantro and serve them as side or a vegetarian dinner.