Wiki definition: “Pohay or Pohe is an Indian fast food prepared in Maharashtra and some Northern States”.
My definition: the best thing to eat while watching snow, do not forget to accompany it with cup of masala chai.
Very easy to make but very difficult to perfect. I have been trying for at least a decade to get that perfection, the perfection that I have tasted in my mom’s pohay. There must be 15000 ways of making pohe. This is just one of them.
- 1 cup pohe, medium thick (you will get this at any indian store)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped (use scissors)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Soak pohe in a cup of water for 5 seconds and then drain. Add sugar, salt and turmeric and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add chillies and follow with onions.
- Add pohe and turn it for a while, till all of it is yellow. Add lemon juice and cook for a minute more.
- You can finish it with chopped coriander/ sev/ sliced boiled egg.