Z’s travel time is my opportunity to eat vegetarian food. Otherwise for him, no meat is no food! With this opportunity I made this sort of a curry. A curry which I learnt on back of a Maggie cube’s packet, favorite bullion cubes in India. A tiny recipe, turned out so good that it became my all time favorite. Like everything else in my life and me, this recipe too has evolved over time. Now it does not have it’s ingredient that contains MSG. This is the current version for you. Although you can have it with rice, bread, or anything else, it tastes the best with dosa, appam etc.
- 3 cups chopped okra, 1″ long pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp oil
- Roast okras in a pan till they have little black spots.
- Add oil, onion, tomatoes, chili flakes, turmeric and salt. Simmer while turning occasionally.
- Once tomato and onion looks cooked (i.e. tomato mushy and onion transparent/brown), add coconut milk.
- Turn it off just when it begins to boil. If you boil coconut milk, it might loose it’s flavor and then curry will taste like any other curry.