This is Indian rice kheer westernized to become better rice pudding.
You will need:
- 1 cup of uncooked rice, preferably basmati
- 3 cups of whole milk. If you want a low cal one, feel free to use fat free milk
- 1 tea spoon ghee
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- Few strands of saffron
- 1/4 spoon cardamom/ cinnamon/ nutmeg powder (any one)
- Wash, soak and dry rice over a paper towel.
- Heat ghee in a very clean pan.
- Add rice to the pan and turn it on simmer till it changes color a bit and is more fragrant.
- Carefully add milk, keep stirring frequently on simmer.
- After 20-25 minutes when the milk is reduced to 1/3 rd, add sugar to it and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Take it out in bowls and decarate with saffron strands and spice powder of your choice.
- Right now what you have made is rice kheer, you may have it hot or cold.
- If you want it cold put it in refrigerator and serve it as better rice pudding 😉