My best friend Sonal was here, she took 18 hours of long flight with 4 year old Nyla, just to meet me! Now Sonal has left. I miss Sonal. I miss Nyla. And I miss goan food. Not that we had too much of it but when did I need an excuse to miss food. Sonal’s mom Nirmal is one of the best cooks I have ever known when it comes to Goan food. Here is her secret shrimp recipe.
- 2 cups peeled and deveined shrimps
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded fresh coconut, I used frozen. You just can’t use dried.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4-5 finely chopped green chili peppers, you can do without green chilies, for less spicy version
- 1/4 cup dried kokum, you can use other sour things as a replacement but wont get the same taste as kokum. It’s a key ingredient to this recipe. We tried it with green mango but didn’t turn out the same.
- 1 tbsp oil
- Soak kokum in a cup of water and set it aside.
- Mix shrimps with turmeric, chili powder and salt and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onion, green chilies and coconut. Saute it for a while.
- Add shrimps to the mix and saute till shrimps are cooked.
- Finally pour kokum water and keep turning the mix till it is dry. Eat it with rice or just by itself. It’s yummy either ways.