Part of Southern treat last night, this was my best chili so far. Till now I didn’t wait for chili to simmer for hours. I thought chili is cooked, once everything else is cooked, what do I need to wait for? But the key to success is in letting everything cook together for hours. Learnt this from observing the best chili maker, Z Dad. He is my competition when it comes to chili, lamb, banana fosters, stuffing … I try to make these better than him, but never succeed. Z says, it’s good but not like Dad’s.
- 1.5 lb ground lean beef
- 0.5 lb ground turkey
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed and chopped
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 2 tbsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 3 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp or more salt
- In a large pan brown beef and turkey. No need to add oil if your pan is non stick, beef has enough fat.
- Mix everything in slow cooker and let it cook for 4 hours on high or 8 on low.
- It’s ready to be served with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.
It taste like Maharashtrian Usal’s meat version, so I always dream of eating it with a fresh pav.