When you don’t have too much time to cook, when you don’t feel like eating very spicy, and when you don’t know what to cook. Make this super mild biryani and trust me, you won’t go wrong. Any person from any culture with any pallet, with any taste will like this one.
- 5 chicken drum sticks, biryani tastes better with dark meat that’s why I use drumsticks. But feel free to use whatever you like. Just keep the pieces large each piece not smaller than 1/8th of the chicken.
- 1 cup long grain rice, soaked in water for 10 minutes and then dried on paper towel.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 small potatoes halved (optional)
- 1 crushed cloves garlic (optional)
- 4-5 pepper corns black pepper
- 4 cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- 2″ stick cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup yogurt, beaten (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan and add pepper corns, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon.
- When you can smell the spices, add potatoes, onion, garlic and chicken in a deep pan, stir it on medium heat.
- Add rice and salt and stir it carefully with a wooden spatula for 5 minutes. See to it that you dont break rice grains while stirring.
- Add 2 cups of water and cover it. Simmer and let it cook for a 10 minutes. Based on the rice quality this may take less of more time.
- When rice is almost cooked, add dollops of yogurt on rice and cover it again simmer for 5 minutes.
PS: Made it again 2-3 days back and this is how it looked: