Caramel Custard has been my all time favorite custard. Learnt it from my best friend’s mom when I was in college. She has a great influence on my cooking, I have unknowingly learnt my favorite cooking from her. She used to make this with bread and in a steamer. In my Gluten Free days, I have let go the bread and use oven instead of steamer. Otherwise it’s just the old recipe she taught me.
Things you will need:
- 3 egg whites and 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/4 cup sugar for caramel
- 1/8 cup sugar for custard
- Pinch of cinnamon or pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a thick bottom pan add sugar and 1 tbsp water, melt it on simmer/ medium and stir it occasionally. Once it forms a golden brown syrup take it off the heat.
- Divide the syrup in two oven proof serving bowls. Swirl and let it cool.
- Warm (not boil) the milk and keep it aside.
- Beat the eggs and mix rest of the sugar, milk, vanilla and nutmeg in it.
- Pour the mix over caramel.
- Place the bowls in 1″ deep water in an oven proof trey.
- Heat the oven to 350deg F and let the custards bake for 35 to 45 minutes or till the knife dipped in it comes out clean.
- Cool it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more and serve it cold.