This is southern inspiration combined with indian inspiration. An amazing combination. I have made the shrimp curry easy here, just to encourage everyone to try it. And I hope you guys do.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring water to boil in a deep pan.
- Add oil and salt.
- Then stir in cornmeal little at a time.
- Let it cook on simmer for 10 minutes, stir it occasionally.
- 8 medium size shrimps (31-40 per pound)
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup okra, cut into pieces
- 2 tea spoon garam masala/ curry powder
- 2 table spoon oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cup of water divided
- Heat 2 spoons of oil in a pan, add half of onion and garlic to it. Keep turning it, till it gets transparent and starts browning.
- Add garam masala to it. Keep turning for a while then keep it aside to cool for a while. Put it in blender, along with 1/2 cup of water and blend to make a paste.
- Heat rest of the oil in a clean pan. Add rest of the onion and then okra. Keep turning both till both are crispy.
- Follow with the onion garlic paste. Mix it briefly.
- Add a cup of water and let it boil for a while then add shrimps.
- Take it off once the shrimps turn opaque.
- Shrimps get chewy if left in the curry for a long time. So serve immediately on polenta.
This combination goes extremely well with fried catfish.