Traditionally or whenever I have eaten Tomato Rice has been spicy. In my recipe I have not only made it milder but also simpler. It goes extremely well with side of Roasted Bone Marrow.
- 1 cup rice, soaked for 15 minutes and drained
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp asafetida
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 cardamoms
- 2″ cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 thinly chopped onion
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper powder or paprika for even milder version
- 2 cups water
- Heat oil in a pan and add all spices from #3 to #8. It is not necessary to have all the spices, it will turn out just as good even if you miss 1 or 2. If you don’t have whole spices, feel free to use powders. Just a dash each. Turn it till you can smell the flavors.
- Add chopped onion, keep turning till it turns translucent
- Follow it with tomato. Cover and cook the tomatoes for 5 minutes, till it becomes mushy. Mix it well.
- Add rice and keep turning on medium heat till mixture feels dry. Use a wooden spatula and be careful not to break any rice.
- Add 2 cups of water and cover it. Let it cook on simmer for 20 minutes or till rice is cooked.
- Serve hot with plain yogurt and if you are a real foodie like me you will have it with Roasted Bone Marrow.